Saturday, December 29, 2012

Christms in Zanzibar, Tanzania

Stone Town, Kendwa and Nungwi are some of the most beautiful places I've seen, and they're all on the same island of Zanzibar! Stone Town is an extraordinary place, and I hope to go back at some point in the future. The wood details are truly exquisit, and the architecture is magical. We came back one day early to spend an extra night in Stone Town... Best decision. I got to eat at Maritim Ethiopian. The restaurant takes pride in the experience of the customer, as well as its food (http://www.facebook.com/AbyssinianMaritim). If you're in Stone Town you should certainly go to Maritim for lunch or dinner. Make sure to take a "walking taxi." I would also like to rave about Cafe at Emerson Spice. It's a 5 minute walk from Kiponda, and they have a set menu for dinner (7:00pm to 9:00pm every day). Be sure to make reservations! It's $30 for a five course meal and the food is incredible! There were three different items to eat at every course, and everything was seasoned and cooked to perfection. One day in Dar es Salaam was enough. We took a catamaran from Stone Town to Mnemba Island to Nungwi. We snorkeled on the way and got a chance to swim with 4 dolphins!! There's a picture of one of the dolphins below. 

Christmas in Tanzania was... Good... I enjoyed being with new friends in a stunning place, but it sure doesn't beat Christmas at home. It was VERY hard getting on the plane from Nairobi to Lusaka...It took me at least 20 minutes to walk up the stairs of the plane.  I had a 5 hour layover in Nairobi, and I met some pretty interesting people! One group was heading to the Philippines (their home), and happened to work in the mines of Northern Province, Zambia.

I'm thinking about printing some of my photos (Parris Works). Comments on pictures are more than welcome!













Some of the wood detail I mentioned. I'm not exaggerating when I say that ALL of the doors in Stone Town had gorgeous/magical carving detail.


I'm most proud of this picture (Fisherman)! I wish I could say I edited this photo, but this is the natural beauty of Zanzibar and the Indian ocean. I could stare at this photo all day.







I thought this was interesting graffiti art. It was just a block away from Kiponda. I wonder if it had to do with the circulation of 'fake ARVs' (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-19914662). Tanzania, out of a population of 45 million, has 1.4 million people living with HIV. 

Pepper Corn from the Spice Tour



Lichee from the Spice Tour. You can also see some cinnamon bark on the left. 






No comments:

Post a Comment